What-A-Melon Festival opening ceremony set for 5 p.m. today
What-A-Melon Festival Carnival is scheduled to open about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 11 — right after the opening ceremony.
Entry into the festival is $5 per button and admission buttons are good all three days of the festival.
Children five and under get in free. Arm bands are available each night of the festival for rides and are $20. Arm band hours are Thursday 5:30 p.m. —10 p.m. and Friday/Saturday 5:30 p.m. To 10:30 p.m.
2019 What-A-Melon Festival Schedule
• Largest Watermelon Contest, is Thursday evening and the winning melons will be on display for festival visitors to see and have photos made with this year's largest watermelons. The weigh-in will be 5 p.m. Thursday under the big tent immediately following opening ceremonies.
• The Pet Show will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, July 12. Sign up is at 5:30 p.m. to enter your favorite pet. Be sure to wow the judges by adding a little watermelon style to your pet's stage presence.
• Singer Reed Barton, a singer/songwriter from Burleson will take to the stage 8:30 p.m. Friday. Come out and enjoy a finger lickin' mix of classic country and classic rock music and welcome Barton to the East Texas What-A-Melon Festival!
• The What-A-Melon Fun Run/5K will jump-start Saturday's activities at 7am. Proceeds from the run will benefit the Shelby County Historical Society.
• The Seed Spitting Contest and Speed Eating Contest is set for 3 p.m. Saturday under the big tent. Come out and demonstrate your watermelon seed spitting skills along with who can down their melon slice the fastest! It's the best way to beat the heat with delicious watermelon.
• The What-A-Melon Pageant is Saturday evening from 5:30 p.m. Until 7:30 p.m.
The What-A-Melon Festival is hosted by the Center Rotary Club.
Proceeds raised from the What-A-Melon Festival by the Rotary Club of Center are donated back to various organizations in the community to help fight hunger, provide scholarships, support the youth and more.